Monday, June 16, 2008

Toddler blood is like sweet, sweet wine to them

I can never let Elle outside again. It turns out the that mosquitoes think she's as deliciously sweet as I do.


This is about 1/10th of the bites she got yesterday. Stupid Minnesota and it's giant baby-eating mosquitoes. It does have it's moments though*.


*It's best moments do not include the one's where we have to sit in out dark basement for half an hour while a small tornado touches down half a mile from our house and my boy cries out things like "Promise me that if our house starts to fall down you'll lay on top of me so that you die and I don't because it's sad when kids die because they haven't even had a chance to grow up yet!"

Edited to add: This is what your knee looks like when you are a toddler and you take two big falls in three days, the second one occurring after your uncle encourages you to run after your mother who is biking past you on a roughly paved road. Thanks for asking Uncle Ben!

9 comments:

Cathy said...

Oh - the mosquitoes! I'll never forget - we used to drive up to MN every summer for family reunions and I swear, the minute we crossed the state line those bugs would be following our car - Fresh Blood! I stepped out of the car at a gas station once and was AMAZED at the amount of mosquitoes. I'm not saying we don't get any in Illinois, but not nearly as many as we'd find waiting for us up north!

Anonymous said...

YIKES! Poor baby. I wish her a speedy recovery and not an allergic reaction like I have.

Ben said...

How's her knee? I feel slightly bad that I was encouraging her to run in the first place, and when she fell my total reaction was to stare at you while you ran over.

The Laundress said...

Crap all around.

Marshamlow said...

We have the same problem here in Mississippi, not fun.

Leslie said...

I'm fairly sure those flying dinosaur things didn't die off in the big bang. They morphed, or "evolved", into Minnesota vampires, I mean mosquitos.

Mandy said...

My daughter has a similar reaction to mosquito bites.... yuck. Poor babies. Did you say Minnesota? Which part?

Jen said...

Cathy - They're crazy up here. Huge and aggressive and super-itch-making. My #1 complaint about the great MN is the bugs.

courtneyryan - Allergic reaction to mosquito bites? Id diodn't know that was possible. Yikes!

ben - Here's something to make you feel even worse. As you stared at me as I ran over to her she was reaching out to you to comfort her. And you just stood there! Ouch!

laundress - Crap indeed. But the knee is already lots better so there's that.

marshamlow - Someone needs to invent something to kill those things off once and for all. What purpose do they really serve?

laggin - It's the only reasonable explanation.

mandy - We're in the St Cloudish area. Now don't stalk me! ;)

Mandy said...

lol... I'm in the St. Cloudish area too. The ghetto seeming part of Waite Park, that's kind of creepy....