Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Mama's little whore


This is a really great article on on some of the dangerous messages that we (as a society) are sending our little girls through the clothes that we buy them and the toys that they play with.

I liked this quote a lot: "We used to worry about Barbie, with her improbable proportions and dismal math skills. Now we long for Barbie. Not the new Bling Bling Barbie, but the old one with the job. At least she tried to do math."

For the record, there will never be a Bratz doll anywhere in my house. Not a MyScene Barbie either for that matter. Even if I didn't find them massivly offensive I would still think they were creepy as all get out. What's with the giant alien eyes? When did that become "cute"?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree! I hate those stupid dolls. What a crooked message they are sending lil girls everywhere. My daughter will not be allowed to buy these dolls.. Hope you don't mind, I hopped on here from Jodifur's page.

Anonymous said...

Jen, I know. I have been looking at the "new" barbie dolls... what is up with the eyes? I like the old barbies. (secretly, I have been purchasing some on ebay nostalgia for my blonde bubble cut barbie from my childhood, which I stupidly let my little sister play with and she trashed. I will get some of those from the 70's for our little Elle to grow up with...)I hate the "new" barbie..... why do companies think that they always have to make something new and improved??!! I admire you for your determination to provide positive messages to your children.

-Grandma Judy

Anonymous said...

I agree...(I only have sons)...but these dolls just freak me and IF I had a daughter, she would not have these.

Al said...

god bless you. GOD BLESS YOU.

Anonymous said...

You say it sweetheart! I can't agree more!