Monday, May 28, 2012

I never wanted to go to the PROM in high school either

I am in the hospital. Blargh.

On Saturday, just a day short of 28 weeks pregnant I noticed that I seemed to be well, leaking. I chalked it up to the fact that I have had a lot of babies and I probably don't have a lot of bladder control left. I went to bed that night and at some point I rolled over in my sleep and woke up when a rather large puddle formed under me. I woke Jesse up and made him sniff it (because I'm nice like that) and we both agreed it wasn't pee so off to the hospital we went. (We woke the poor kids up and put them in the car and each of them rode to the hospital with a blanket over their heads.)  Jesse dropped me off and left to take the kids back home. I joked that I would call him in ten minutes when I was being sent home and laughed at for peeing my pants.

Oh so funny! Within ten minutes I had been given two tests that confirmed the liquid leaking out of me was not pee, but amniotic fluid. Just a day short of 28 weeks pregnant and I was diagnosed with PROM or preterm rupture or membranes.

Freaking A right?

It's not a great situation. Every doctor and nurse I see reassures me that this wasn't caused by anything I did or didn't do. It's just a freak thing that happens. Maybe there's a defect in the amniotic sac. Maybe there was an infection of some kind. Maybe one of the two embryos that passed caused some dysfunction in the system. It's nice to hear that it's not my fault but when you're the one charged with growing and protecting a child and it's your body that's leaking amniotic fluid it's hard not to feel like you're failing. I'm trying not to focus on that right now. The great news is that we have a lot of reasons to feel really positive about this is all turning out.

Most women who have PROM will go into labor within 24-48 hours. I'm past both those check points and I haven't had a single contraction. Not one. Of course that can change in an instant and there's really no way to predict what will happen but this is a great sign. I was able to get two doses of steroids to help Baby A's lungs develop and I'm now on massive doses of antibiotics to keep infections away.

Baby A is doing so, so well. I had an ultrasound the day I got here and although her fluid levels were low they were still within the normal range. When they do an ultrasound they score the babies in four areas and give them a score of 0-2 in each category. Baby A scored a perfect 8! She's still very active, moving a lot and getting hiccups and being her usual busy self. I have to be on monitors for an hour four times a day and each time she tries to wiggle away from the monitor but when we manage to catch her when she's quiet her heart rate is always perfect. As long as she continues to do well and I continue to do well we'll keep trucking along.

The goal is to get to 34 weeks pregnant. That seems both way too soon and unimaginably far away. If we succeed it will mean I'm here in the hospital on bedrest for 6 weeks. It will be a small price to pay though if it means giving this little fighter the best chance at being healthy and strong. Right now I'm looking at each day as a victory. Reaching 28 weeks is a HUGE developmental milestone. Babies born at 28 weeks have a much better chance of surviving and being healthy than babies born just a couple of weeks earlier. Every day we can give her just helps her all the more. This baby is a fighter and a drama queen. She's going to make sure all eyes are on her and then she's gonna kick ass and take names.

The down side is that I miss Jesse and the kids like crazy. I'm sure Jesse doesn't miss me as much since I send him texts all day long with instructions like "Put a new filter in the fish tank!" and "Bring me a clean pillow case when you come!".  Elle misses me because I am her best buddy. When she comes to see me she crawls on my bed and gently rests her head on me and tells me about 100 times that she loves me. Joseph seems to miss having me home to cook and run the house and keep the routine that he's used to. It's hard for him to visit because he doesn't like the sights, sounds and smells of the hospital. I want to be with them and they want me with them so while I'm thinking "Come on! We can do this! Six more weeks!" I'm also thinking "Oh no! Six more weeks? I can't do this."

My IPs are being wonderful about this. I was worried they might be upset with me over this but they're supportive and so, so great. They want me to focus on resting and giving Baby A the best chance I can. We've decided that they won't jump on a plane just yet but that we'll keep in close contact and re-evaluate when the situation changes. Obviously this means delivering in CA is out and that's a huge pain in the butt because now we have to do a lot of scrambling to get all the legal stuff done here in MN and that's a lot more difficult.  It will all be worth it in the end.

So please, if you're a good wisher, a prayer, a vibe sender, a mojo believer, whatever, send some of that good stuff to Baby A. Let her keep growing and getting stronger and give her the patience to stick with me for a while longer. Send some to my IPs so they can know that their baby girl is safe and they'll be holding her soon (but not too soon!). Send some to my family so that they can all get along and get through this without too many hard times. Send some to me so that I can get through the day without leaking too much fluid or climbing the hospital walls.

10 comments:

kate said...

Oh, my thoughts are with you. Hang in there. You absolutely shouldn't blame yourself. My SIL had a placental previa and then PROM and ended up having my niece at 24 weeks. She was in the NICU for a long time, but she just turned two, and there aren't any known problems. She's walking, talking and an all around awesome kid. That 28 week milestone is so important, as are the steroid shots - I bet Baby A is going to pull through just fine, whatever happens next.

Adrienne said...

Good mojo all around.

My daughter had PROM at 32 weeks but only lasted 24 hours on bed rest before having to have a c-section. 3 years later the twins are still perfect.

having gone this long you are doing amazing! Wishing you continued patience and sending good thoughts for BabyA

Lindsay said...

Hang in there!! My best to your family.

Swistle said...

I'm worried and hopeful. I will be thinking of you (plural).

Vanessa said...

Wow... that sounds like exactly what happened to me, but I was at just over 30 weeks when my water broke early. I was shot up full of steroids and some other drug meant to stop labor. I made it 9 days, and then my son was born. He was perfect and healthy. I am sure all will be fine Momma. :)

Emily said...

Go, Baby A!

Stimey said...

I choose to send mojo. That Baby A is a fighter and so are you. I hate that you have to be away from your family and that the next little while is going to be so hard, but know that you have a little cheering section in Maryland. Sending love! (And mojo.)

Mandie said...

Jen, you are awesome and brave and amazing. This is PPROM, right? Preterm premature rupture of membranes? I know that's a lot scarier than straight up PROM even. (I mean, proms are terrifying but pee proms? Just no.)

Anyway, you're fantastic. I'm sorry your family is having to deal with all of this right now (Uh, I kind of feel like all my surro sisters need a fricken break already). But We love you and we're here for you. <3<3<3

Anonymous said...

Sending good vibes, good mojo, prayers and every other thing that might help! I keep sending Baby A a telepathic message to stay put for awhile longer! Jen, do you want some books to read? I have a lot I can either bring or send to you! Your MIL- Judy

Unknown said...

Best wishes to you all!