Monday, July 12, 2010

New York is awesome

So.  New York.  It pretty much rocks.

As you may remember I was a teeny bit freaked out about the trip before we left.  Then we went on the trip and it took me one day to fall in love with New York.  In the span of one day I went from thinking "Oh my god!  This is so scary!  It's so huge and overwhelming and I can't look anyone in the eye because they might murder me and why do I keep smelling urine and HOLD MY HANDS children!  Don't ever let go of my hands!" to thinking "I love this city so much and I never want to leave and I want to move here and get a dog and walk the dog all over the city and make friends with other people walking their dogs and I'll ride the subway and I'll take the kids onto the subway and oh, look how cute it is that Elle likes to hang onto the pole and spin around any maybe I should make her stop doing that because I want her to love New York but I don't want her to become a stripper."

I honestly don't know why everyone doesn't want to live in New York.  It's seriously that awesome. 

We saw and did so much but when it came time to move on to the next part of our vacation I was still a little bit sad to leave the city.  A little bit.  Not super sad because up next was Fire Island.  Beach house!  Ocean!  Pool!  Relaxation!  Baby time!  Sort of!  (There was a bit of a situation with the nanny not wanting me to hold the babies or feed the babies or touch the babies or even look at them or occupy the same general area as them for too long so that was SUPER FUN.)

The house was gorgeous, the beach was beautiful, the pool was delightful (other than a brief incident where I had to jump into the pool (fully clothed) to "save" Joseph from "drowning") and the babies, oh the babies.  Let me tell you about those babies.  They are 100% their father's children.

The Boy is happy and cheerful and nearly always smiling.  When he turns his head to look at you he gets an expression on his face that says "WOW!  I'm so HAPPY to see you!  It's so great that you're here!  This is one of the best moments of my life!  And what's this over here?  My hand?  I LOVE this hand!  Watch me stuff it in my mouth!  Isn't this just the BEST TIME EVER?"

The Girl is very serious and much more reserved.  When she turns her head to look at you she gets an expression on her face that says.  "Oh.  You're over there.  Hmmm.  I"m not sure how I feel about that.  I need to think about it some more.  Here's my hand.  I believe I'll chew on it for a while.  You may watch if you chose."

They are adorable babies and it amused me greatly to watch them ... from at least 20 feet away at all times so that the nanny didn't get too upset.

We were all very sad when it came time to leave Fire Island. I don't think any of us were ready to come home.  Some of us may have cried.  One of us may have wailed "It hurts my heart to leave such good friends!"  I can't take Jesse anywhere.

Now we're home and all that's left to do is clean the sand out of our suitcases, tend to the neglected garden, sort through pictures and figure out how and when we're going to be able to get back.

Did I mention that we really liked New York?


1 comment:

Albany Blinds said...

Godd bless