Friday, May 20, 2011

Facebook is like the rapture

I suppose I had better blog something.  If the rapture come I don't want the last post on this blog to be one with a bunch of terrible pictures of me.

The fact is, social media is killing this blog.  And by "social media" I mean "facebook".  I made a conscious decision a couple of years ago to unplug from Twitter and stop trying to "build" my "brand" but I'm sort of addicted to facebook.  And not just because of FarmVille!  I like the instant feedback and connection that if offers.

Everyone knows commenting is down.  I used to get 10-20 comments on a post.  Now I get two or three.  And I'm not complaining because I know that's just how it is.  I'm guilty of not commenting.  Like, ever.  Even with my very favorite bloggers I just read, smile and mark as read.

But on facebook I comment and "like" and share and interact.  If I have something I want to share with the world these days it just seems so much easier to do it there.  I have over 500 facebook friends.  If I feel like everyone who wants to know anything about me is probably friends with me on facebook so they can just read about my life there.  Except my mother in law.  She reads my blog but she's not on facebook.  And that's ok.  We need the distance.  Otherwise daughter-in-law Jen and social media Jen would collide and I just can't handle that.

So facebook is taking over.  I can deal with that.  But I love this blog and I'm not willing to let it die so easily.  I have to make more of an effort to update it.  (Assuming that tomorrow I don't find myself spending all eternity in the fiery pits of hell...) I started this blog mainly as a record of my children's lives (hence the stupid url name) and if they ever read it someday I want them to think "Wow, our mom sure was delighted with us!" and not "Wow, our mom sure was easily distracted!  And why did she talk about her boobs so much?"

So, my darling children, if you ever read this, here is what you've been up to lately:

On Wednesday when I picked Elle up from school she had a missing tooth.  It had been loose and she pulled it out all by herself while she was supposed to be doing a math worksheet.  I'm a little sad I didn't get to be with her when she lost her first tooth but only a little sad since seeing loose teeth makes me feel a little gaggy.  I'm also a little sad that my baby is old enough to be losing teeth.  How did that happen so fast?

Joseph's class is going to be seeing a sex ed video on Monday.  His teacher sent home a slip this week for us to sign, giving him permission to see the video.  This is what was written at the top of the note:
It's like he's trying to tell me something ... When I told him that I wanted him to watch the video he said "I'm honestly shocked Mommy.  I never thought you would want me to see something like that."  I reassured him that the video would be appropriate for fourth graders but he's still pretty sure it's going to be terrible.  We reached a compromise where he will be in the room when the video is on but he doesn't have to look at the screen if he doesn't want to.  Nothing is simple with this child.  He sure is cute though.

One year ago today Jesse didn't read.
Two years ago today I had underwear in my fruit basket.
Three years ago today Joseph raised his eyebrows.

9 comments:

Christina said...

I'm reading, dahlink!

Swistle said...

I've been so relieved to be seeing other people saying their comments are down, too!

I said it on Facebook (...I think...or maybe I dreamed it...) but I LOVE his note on that sheet. And it's even better with "I'm honestly shocked Mommy."

Anonymous said...

Jen, I am on facebook. I just haven't asked to be your friend, and you haven't asked to be mine. I do understand the distance thing, but I do hope you will update your blog more often. I do love reading your writing! You have such a talent for putting your thoughts out there. Keep up the good work on my grandchildren! You and Jesse are raising some great kids! Love to all you....Your MIL-Judy

Suzanne said...

Would you feel better knowing I am a fairly new reader (I think I actually found you through Swistle) but I jump a little for joy when you post? I just feel awkward commenting because you have no idea who I am.

Also, are you sure your kid isn't actually a hilarious character on a sitcom instead of a real kid? Because that note is FANTASTIC.

Stimey said...

My last pre-rapture post is about me mocking the rapture and about the looting I am going to do. I am sure going to look like a jerk if it really happens.

I sort of grudgingly joined Facebook and then hated it for a long time, but now I am starting to really like it. It's a fun place. My only complaint about it (and twitter) is that it is so not in-depth. If I'm not online when someone is posting, I miss it, whereas on a blog, I can (and will) go back and catch up.

Congrats on the tooth and OMG, I'm still laughing about the note on the permission slip.

Bernadette said...

Hi!

Just discovered your blog and love it so much I am commenting- in hopes that you will continue to write:)

Best,
Bernadette

dancing_lemur said...

Agreed re: social media. I have NO IDEA how people do Facebook, blogging, blog-reading, AND twitter...and still have jobs. Or a life.

But I'm trying to make a more conscious decision to comment on blogs. Like...right now! Look at me! Because I so appreciate it when I get comments on mine, so I'm trying to reciprocate or pay it forward or whatever.

Unemployed in PDX said...

micah is reading too... i love the facebook "snapshots" and know i can come to your great blog for more details or to see anything i may have missed.

Unemployed in PDX said...

and i SO get the dumb url thing... look at mine that i can't seem to make disappear