Thursday, November 10, 2005

My little piggy

A few hours ago I was ready to throw in the towel on nursing. It's often frustrating for me (and sometimes Elle too). Today was rough because Elle has been refusing to latch on for more than a few sucks at a time. She's been doing that since about midnight last night and then all day today. She acts hungry but she just won't nurse and I was getting more and more frustrated. Not with her of course, just with the whole thing. I was worrying that she wasn't getting enough to eat.

So this afternoon I went to see a nurse practitioner/lactation consultant and had her give me some advice. She said this is something that babies do sometimes. She suggested that I try feeding her in the bathtub of all places. How weird is that? She said overall Elle looks very good and is clearly getting enough to eat since she now weighs in at 10 pounds 14 ounces. Heh. I guess she is getting enough to eat after all.

So I'll stick with nursing. I really don't want to stop, I just want it to go easier. I think a lot of my problems with it come from second guessing myself. Maybe I just need to give it more time so that it all seems more natural. We must be doing something right though since she's gained so much weight. What a little piggy.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that she is gaining weight....that is a good sign at her age!!! Just hang in there, you both are new at this. I always laid down when I nursed. I think I was more relaxed that way and I think Baby Jesse was, too. You and Elle are now about the stage when Jesse and I quit nursing. Looking forward to seeing all of you guys tomorrow!! Love to all of you. Grandma Judy

Anonymous said...

Good for you for hanging in there with nursing. I think it's such a good thing for Elle, and not as easy as it seems. +10 pounds, that's amazing. She's growing so fast!

Anonymous said...

It is a good sign that she is gaining.She is showing her independence.GGR

Anonymous said...

Show me where it says that raising a baby always goes by the book.
YF

Ben said...

Right here, in the "Raising Babies Book".

Heh. My 'verification word' is 'morgah'. MORGAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!