Thursday, December 23, 2010

A fishy miracle

I walked in to the kitchen to find that the kids had pulled chairs up to the fish tank and were sitting and watching it closely.  "I foresee many hours spent this way!" Joseph said with a big smile on his face.

It was cute but also kind of sad since there were no fish in the tank yet.

Yesterday I attempted to make the situation a little less pathetic by buying a couple of interesting yet hard to kill snails to put in the tank.  Elle came with me and she picked out a white snail, a yellow snail and a blue snail.

When we got them home we discovered that the blue snail really likes to climb the towers of the castle we have decorating the tank.  We have named him Flynn Ryder.  We named the yellow one Rapunzel and the white one Maximus but sometimes Elle calls him Poker Face.

And then!  Then!  Something amazing!  When we dumped the snails into the tank we discovered that there was a tiny baby fish in the bag from the fish store.  We don't know what kind of fish it is or how it got into the bag but right now he's happily swimming in a little isolation tank inside our aquarium. 

We're debating what to name this little fish.  So far Lucky is the winning name because it can easily be changed to Unlucky if it dies.  I suggested Jesus because he's small and he miraculously appeared at Christmastime.  My family vetoed that name which I sort of think means they hate Jesus but what are you gonna do.

Tomorrow we'll attempt to add a couple of ON PURPOSE fish to our ACCIDENTAL fish family.  The kids will be so happy to have something to stare at for hours at a time.  Until then I'll be praying that our miracle baby fish doesn't die because I don't want to have to always look back on this as the Christmas I killed Jesus.

One year ago today I was 24 weeks pregnant and huge. (And people told me I was pretty.  Haha.)
Two years ago today Frosty got it on.

4 comments:

Marinka said...

That IS a fishy miracle! And just in time for Christmas. I think pulling up a chair and foreseeing many hours spent that way is the most adorable thing I've ever heard!

Swistle said...

I just love this whole thing. Also, a non-pro tip: our two goldfish died, but our two minnows have lived and lived and lived. There may be no correlation between our experience and general experience.

Stimey said...

Oh my God, oh my God, oh my God. I laughed so hard about your baby fishy Jesus.

Also, did it ever occur to you that if your kids are fascinated by, you know, WATER, that you could just leave the tank as is.

Not to mention I think it is possible that your blue snail is radioactive. I don't know that snails are supposed to be blue. Way to irradiate the baby Jesus.

(Also, good luck with the real fish.)

Anonymous said...

Super Christmas Story. I think Jesus is an appropriate name for the baby fish. I hope it survives! And don't worry about killing Jesus. It's already been done and you weren't to blame! Looking forward to seeing all of you soon!

Grandma Judy