Friday, June 19, 2009

I wish I knew how to quit you ..... oh yeah, I do

I am quitting Twitter.

I know, I know. Try to contain your shock and horror and rage. You'll find a way to survive without my once a week tweets. I promise.

Twitter was always a mind numbing time suck but it used to be a fun mind numbing time suck. It used to be a fun way of keeping up with friends and bloggy buddies. Nowadays it seems like the fun stuff is few and far between.

When did Twitter get so crappy? And how did it happen? It's still full of the same great people who I know and love (in 140 character form) so it seems like it should still be good. But it's not, it's just not.

I blame retweeting. I understand retweeting important or helpful information but who needs to see "RT @someoneorother @whoknows @whatever @blahblahblah I am going to lick you at blogger!" a dozen times? Why do people do that?

BlipFM is on my list of culprits too. Seriously people, I love you dearly but I don't need to know every song that you are listening to. And some of you have really bad taste in music.

Tweeting when your blog is updated? Also bad. If I read your blog I already know it's been updated. If I don't then I don't care anyway. Tweeting contests and giveaways? It's fine if you do it once but more than that and you're wasting my time. Tweeting sales pitches for companies because you're trying to win something or are being paid to promote it? Tacky, tacky, tacky.

I don't expect anyone to change their tweeting ways just because of this bitchy post. I'm not even sure why I am posting this other than my chest is killing me today and it's making me crabby.

I guess the long and short of it is that I'm a Twitter quitter. Don't worry about me though. I've got Facebook and we're very happy together. Now if I could just find a way to convince people to NOT link their Twitter and Facebook accounts all would be right with the world.

This post was brought to you by having the sensation that your chest was trampled by elephants during the night.

Two years ago today I was pregnant and everyone was happy.
Three years ago today Elle ate a rock and I was really dull.

3 comments:

Stimey said...

I agree with you about most of what you say here. I'm not interested in the Blip stuff. I'm tired of follow friday. I just want to engage in conversations and they don't seem to happen as much. But I'm hanging on. I can't quit yet. Maybe it's because I don't have Facebook.

Sheriz123@aol.com said...

Stimey, get Facebook! I agree with Jen. I love reading both of your blogs and mostly just lurk, but tonight at dinner I drank a lot of hot tea... stupid, I know, and seem chattier than usual. Keep up the good writing. I love reading both of you and check you daily!

Barbara said...

Hmmmm... still have a twitter account, but have essentially quit it as well... It's just an update of new blog posts anyway, and FB has sort of taken the place of twitter for me as well. Social networking has it's place, but twitter is overrated ;)