Tuesday, April 15, 2008

I'll trade you this baby for a video camera!

We had a really nice visit with J&B and their boys on Sunday. I explained how to get rid of cradle cap (J is afraid of scrubbing Little A's head too hard) and how to use a baby sling (J is worried that he'll drop Little A if he tries to use one). J&B offered to give us their old video camera. I would love to be in a financial position where I could be like "No! Seriously! Take this expensive piece of electronic equipment. It's just cluttering up the house anyway!" I got to hold A for a long time and he gave a bunch of great big smiles. Every time I would talk to him he would look at me very closely. J&B are convinced that A remembers my voice. That's kind of a neat/odd/crazy/cool idea. I wonder if it's true.

When we were getting ready to go I thanked them for offering us the video camera and J&B both said "Thank you for giving us A!" A passing waitress shot us a confused look and I wondered what she must have been thinking.

On a totally unrelated note, have you ever been in a situation where you're talking to someone you know really well (or maybe someone you just know casually) and out of the blue they make some really racist or homophobic remark and you don't even know what to say back because all you can do is stare at them and think "Wow. I didn't even know that you sucked like that"? I hate when that happens.

3 comments:

Al said...

ahhhh, yes, this is happening with a newly reacquainted friend. and I don't want to insult her, because I know how compassionate she is, deep down inside, but it's like... "damn. seriously?!"

Anonymous said...

This is ever so awkward. The other day my mom used the F-word to describe a gay man. And she did it so casually like it was a totally appropriate thing to do. I had no idea what to say. So, so uncomfortable.

delaneydiariesmama said...

Um, how DO you get rid of cradle cap? We're battling it over here! Help!