Monday, January 16, 2006

Racial slurs for kids

Joseph likes the song "Little Red Corvette" by Prince. He likes to sing it in the car because I have it on a cd that we play on the way back and forth from therapy. He doesn't know the words very well. I don't have the heart to correct him when he happily belts out "Little red corn-back!". It's so cute but so very, very close to being a racial slur. Can't you just hear it?

"Those corn-backs are coming here and taking all our jobs!"

"Some of my best friends are corn-backs!."

"I won't take my car to the carwash that all those corn-backs work at. I think they steal change out of my ashtray."

2 comments:

Ben said...

Now personally I have no problems with corn-backs... I just wouldn't want my sister to date one of them.

Incidentally, how does Joseph interperet the line "A body like yours oughtta be in jail 'cause its on the verge of being obscene"?

Anonymous said...

I've never known a corn-back that wasn't obscene.