Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Mary Jane Gravy

I was on the phone today and Joseph came running up to me and asked when his other Mommy died. I assumed he meant his birth mom so after I got off the phone I asked him what he meant. Here's how it went:
Me: Joseph, who were you talking about when you said your 'other Mommy'?
Joseph: My other Mommy, Mary Jane Gravy.
M: Who's that?
J: The other Mommy I had when I lived in Texas.
M: Where in Texas did you live?
J: Big Hills Mountain.

That was the end of that conversation but a while later I asked him to tell me the town he lived in in Texas again. Here's how that went.
Joseph: I lived in the North of Texas.
Me: What else do you remember about it?
J: I lived by a big hill. We had to go up and and back down it again all the time.
M: Why did you have to go down the hill?
J: I don't know. I was scared of it when I was little because I fell down it one time but then I got braver when I was bigger.
M: What do you remember about being bigger?
J: I was a coal miner.

That was the end of that. I tried to ask more questions but he just wanted to play trains. Here's a funny thing though. Joseph has told Jesse and I many times that he wants to visit Texas. Out of the blue he'll ask how long it takes to get there and if we can go there someday.

Is it just me or is all this kind of strange? I wish I could describe how he sounds when he says these things. It's just so matter of fact, like he was describing what he had for breakfast that morning. It's really kind of spooky.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Does this creep anyone else out but me? Your baby is wack.
BIG HILL, TEXAS (Limestone County). Big Hill (Bighill), on Farm Road 2489 seven miles west of Thornton in western Limestone County, was named for an elevation used by the Indians as a lookout point. Settlement began there in the 1880s with the opening of the blacklands for farming. Big Hill Methodist Church, which served as the focus of the community for many years, was organized in 1879. A post office was opened in 1894 with Bailey A. Garrett as postmaster, and in 1896 a Big Hill school district was organized. The town's population reached a peak of about 100 in 1915 but began to decline by the 1920s as business grew in nearby Groesbeck. The Big Hill post office was closed in 1924, and by 1949 the population had declined to twenty. After World War IIqv the church disbanded, and the school was consolidated with that of Groesbeck. By 1985 only the abandoned church and cemetery were left to mark the site of the town.
Beany

Anonymous said...

I'm not too sure you should take Joseph to Texas. You might find out some things you don't really want to know.........or something.
YF

Anonymous said...

I cried so hard when I read this. Ghost stories/creepy things make me cry and I was almost bawling. That's a sweet name though... Mary Jane Gravy. It's like the name of a hippie. It's all gravy...