Wednesday, January 09, 2008

A labor preview

I spent a couple of hours on the labor and delivery floor at the hospital last night. Around 4:00 I started having some bad cramps and a back ache. I called the nurse line and my doctors office and they asked me if I could feel the baby moving. When I said I hadn't felt him move since the morning they pretty much told me "Hang up and get to the hospital right now."

At the hospital they hooked me up to the monitors and right away the little guy started jumping around. His heartbeat sounded just fine so they just watched me for a little while to see if I was contracting.

I had a few small contractions while I was there so they gave me a shot of some drug that stung like a son of a bitch but stopped the contractions. After I had some water and was able to give a urine sample they checked my cervix (closed and thick thank you very much) and sent me home.

They told me the contractions were probably because I was dehydrated. I guess I haven't been drinking a whole lot while I've felt sick. I'll have to stay on top of that because I wouild prefer to not have the stinging shot and the cervix check again if not nessecary.

At one point right before I got the shot Jesse said "You'll only feel a little prick." and I said "That's what she said!" and Jesse laughed and laughed and laughed. It takes so little to amuse him.

4 comments:

Ferdinand the Duck said...

Hahaha! Roommate and I can't stop doing "that's what she said." So funny every time.

Sarah, Goon Squad Sarah said...

It was probably terbutaline (turbutaline?) I had many a shot of that when i was pregnant with the goon Squad.

Did it make you feel like you were on speed?

Anonymous said...

Gah. The cervix check.

Eeeeek.

Mrs. Schmitty said...

ROFLMAO over your funny comment! Keep hydrated, okay? I was bad with drinking water during pregnancy too. You don't want contractions too early!