Monday, January 14, 2008

Let's try this again shall we?

All right, last week sucked. Let's keep our fingers crossed that this week is somewhat better. We're already off to a rip roarin' start with Joseph staying home from school sick but I still have faith that it will get better.

My birth plan meeting was on Saturday. It went pretty well. B and J didn't have any really unreasonable requests and they mostly seemed pretty ok with the way I wanted things done. One thing I talked about that I could tell really bothered J was when I said I didn't want constant monitoring. Anyone who has ever given birth in a hospital knows about those stupid monitors they make you wear. They're itchy and uncomfortable and they keep you somewhat restricted in your movement. When I was in labor with Elle I hated them so much that I wanted to rip them off. What I didn't know at the time was that if all is well and the baby is tolerating labor well there's really no reason to keep them on non-stop. The good news is that when I discussed this with the birth plan manager she said it was no problem at all to have intermittent monitoring and that it was done all the time. The bad news is that I could tell J really, really didn't like the idea. He didn't say anything at the time but I guarantee that the second he got home he was on the Internet researching horror stories of people who didn't have constant monitoring and ended up having horrible, traumatic births. I will be shocked if he doesn't bring it up again within the week. Actually, knowing how terrified he is that I will go into labor before 40 weeks (he's very freaked out by the fact that Elle was born at 39 weeks) I will be shocked if he doesn't ask me to start wearing monitors now.

But whatever. It's a minor detail and hopefully B, since he's a doctor, will be able to calm J down about the whole thing. And if not ..... well, we'll cross that bridge when we come to it I guess.

1 comment:

StickyKeys said...

Seriously, I need to move in with B&J in some capacity. They are rollin' in dough and B's a DOCTAH?!

*smh*