Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Summer school

Joseph had his first day of summer school today. He has stressed about this for the past two months. He was sure that he would hate it and that it would ruin his whole summer. When I went to pick him up today the first words out of his mouth were "I love summer school! I wish it was longer!"

I knew he would like it once it started. Like so many things with Joseph though, just getting him to try something is the hard part. He gets so worried about things that are new and unknow that by the time the new thing happens he's managed to work himself into a little anxiety attack. We have yet to find a good way to deal with this other than just forcing him into things and then not tell him "I told you so!" when it turns out that we were right and he likes them after all. My boy is a riddle wrapped in an enigma wrapped in a pair of shin guards. (10 points for anyone what knows what I'm refering to there.)

Speaking of shin guards, soccer is going well. (Like how I did that?) Joseph is probably the least skilled on his team but I don't even think he notices that. He just loves being out there and playing with his team. It doesn't bother him that he has yet to kick a ball towards the right goal. He's just having fun. The kid burns so much energy when he's out on the field. The entire time he's out there he's running around and windmilling his little arms around and saying things like "Kick the ball to me if you want to win!" and "I'm gonna kick that ball to shreds!". It's fun to watch him have so much fun. He's a cute kid.

5 comments:

Sophie Treadmill said...

Awwww...if that doesn't sound so sweet. You'll have to post pics when you get a chance.

I'm glad to hear he's having a great time, because having fun is what it's all about. And, good for him for enjoying summer school. I know that must put your mind at ease too. Oh, and great segue, btw. ;).

Anonymous said...

Hurray for Joseph!! Hopefully, he will continue to try new things even if he is a bit anxious about it...(some of that is normal, most people are a little anxious about trying new things!) I'm so happy he likes summer school, and the soccer!! Give him a big hug from me! Grandma Judy

Anonymous said...

I love his field talk. I hope he scores a goal soon because I remember the thrill of each of my sons' first goal. Go Joseph!

Nicole Fleischman said...

Just came from Mrs. Flinger blogs and thought I would say Congrats!
Wow your in MN too!

Unknown said...

Winston Churchill

"I cannot forecast to you the action of Russia. It is a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma; but perhaps there is a key. That key is Russian national interest."

Yeah, I'm brilliant. Yaaay Google!