Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Pregnancy stuff

I had a doctors appointment yesterday. Everything is going well. I have gained 2 pounds so my offical pregnancy weight change is still minus 12 pounds. I think it's actually more than that because I lost closer to 20 pounds but some of that was before my first offical weigh in with my doctor. Anyway, only 2 pounds is pretty good considering the way I've been packing it on lately. I have to keep reminding myself that I don't need to eat enough to make up for the first 3 1/2 months.

Everything else looks good. My blood pressure and urine were normal. The baby's heartbeat sounded good and (for the first time) very loud. She didn't even have to look for it, just put the device on my belly and heard it right away. I don't know if it's because the baby is bigger now or what but this is the first time she didn't have to search all over to find the heartbeat.

So what is a baby doing at 17 weeks? Glad you asked! Right now the muscles have formed that let the baby practice sucking and swallowing. It's swallowing amniotic fluid all the time and then peeing it back out. And swallowing it again. Babies are kind of gross if you think about it too much. Also, fingerprints are starting to form. It's a busy week. The baby can now be as long as 6.5 inches and weigh 5 ounces. They can also cause their mother's to have tremendous amounts of gas. Er, so I hear anyway. Not that I have a problem with it. I've never almost blasted myself off the couch with a mondo gas explosion.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You think babies are gross now? Just wait. The stories I could tell. But they would embarrass and scar my children. So I won't. Ok, just one. I was changing a diaper for one of my children (she was very little, maybe only a month old) once and as I lifted up her legs to put the new diaper underneath, she projectile poo'd. Which I had not realized was even possible. But apparently if the wind conditions and everything else is just right, anything can happen. So to finish this, everything to the right of the changing table, (toys, walls, carpet) was sprayed with a fine mist of baby poo. Lovely. Oh the memories.
And the Gramma sick story is so darn cute. He's a clever boy. Besides being cute as can be.
Beany