Monday, April 04, 2005

Yipee!

I am exactly 12 weeks along today. (Next week I'll be starting the secnd trimester!) At 12 weeks the baby stops using it's yolk sac and starts getting what it needs from the placenta. The baby is about 2 1/2 inches long and weighs about 1/2 ounce. The arms and legs start move but you can't feel it until 16-20 weeks. Finger and toe nails are starting to grow. The heart is complete and functioning and the stomach is formed and linked to the mouth and intestines. The sexual organs are beginning to form but can't yet be seen on an ultra sound. I am endlessly fascinated by all this stuff. I llok forward to each new week because I can read up on how the baby is developing and see pictures of how it looks in my baby books.

I found out that I won't have to get blood drawn today because they did it when I was at the hospital and my doctor just checked those and my blood sugar is normal. Glad for that!

My pants have stopped fitting. I have to loop a rubber band through the button hole and around the button or else they're just a little too tight. I have already given in and bought a couple of maternity shirts but I'm holding off on buying pants for as long as I can. (Oh, I did buy one pair but they're actually a bit too big for me right now. ....... although, maybe not. I haven't tried them on since I bought them and I have grown since then.) Anyway, I don't like most maternity pants, they look dopey to me.

Speaking of dopey clothes, if anyone at any point in my pregnancy sees me wearing a shirt that says something like "Baby on board!" or "Guess what's cooking!" or anything with an arrow pointing to the tummy and a "cute" saying on it go ahead and assume I've lost my mind and need to be medicated.

No comments: